Saturday, February 28, 2009

So here I am


Barefaced. Raw. You and me. I finally heard back from one of the grad schools I applied to, "Sorry, it was a tough decision but we simply don't have the funding to back a talented and qualified graduate like you."

Oh really?

Good.

Stillwater, Oklahoma (aka Oklahoma State University) was not my first choice for graduate school. It wasn't even my second choice. Not even my third.

And yet.... I still feel the sting of rejection. It's like one of those shots you get where the nurse says, "You won't even feel it," and you don't really. Just a tingle. Just a small notification that the eye (of the needle) was there. 

I'm not one to bask in the glorious glow of a Sunset Depression, because I'm still waiting for the sun to rise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That profound observation about the sun belongs on the side of my coffee cup so that in the mornings, millions more can ignore it or be mock-inspired by it.

Did you make sure to include the blog's URL on all the grad applications? If not, rectify this omission immediately, and every app. will be a 100% lock.

Joe said...

I thought you'd appreciate the corny nature of that.

Anonymous said...

RocknRolla is definitely worth seeing by the way. The story and action are top notch. There are a few stylistic decisions that didn't quite work because they seemed a bit random, and the music and pacing didn't move the movie along as quickly as it felt like they should, but the high-def cameras used and the great cast made the story come alive and be fun, which was what Lock, Stock and Snatch were all about.

Even better, Ritchie said this was the first in a trilogy, so he's going to use the same London underground scene and cast, and he said in an interview he hasn't ruled out overlapping these new characters with the Lock, Stock, and Snatch worlds, which would work brilliantly.