Sunday, February 8, 2009

Servitude

I am 100% anti-slavery. I think indentured servants also have it rough. I think having butlers and maids is absolute stupidity and the height of laziness.

Yet... If I could have just a little help, for just 1 hour a week, what would I ask of such help?

Iron my clothes.



I hate ironing. I have to iron countless shirts and pants to appear professional each day every week, and I am terrible at it, and to do it just slightly above the level of pure, wrinkled trash, I spend WAY too much time on this menial, superficial task.* And for all I try, I can never get certain spots just right. No amount of steam or extra heat can help.

I hate, and suck at, ironing. Forced servitude is wrong, but for just 1 hour per week (I'd even pay them a small sum!) someone needs to do all my ironing.

If you had such help for just 1 hour per week, what task would you relinquish?

*No, the reason it takes me so long is NOT because I iron under water.

4 comments:

NoJGenny said...

Here's a tip: Before you buy a shirt, look at the label. If it says 100% cotton, don't buy it. If it says 60% cotton, 40% cotton, buy it. It will feel like cotton but will need, if anything, only ironing on the button placket. There's my tip for the day. It can change your life.

Joe said...

What is this "ironing" you speak of? Luckily, all my employment only requires a "semi-professional" (ie U.S. Postal Service, or AA baseball, or WNBA) grade attire, and thus ironing does not entire my world, well, ever really.

I would have said servant clean the bathroom. That is a task that I do not enjoy.

And I think NoJGenny meant that if the shirt says "60% cotton" OR "40% cotton", that you are safe to buy it.

If indeed it says, "60% cotton, 40% cotton", do not be fooled! For such a shirt is, in fact, 100% cotton.

Joe said...

*ironing does not enter my world

not "ironing does not entire my world."

NoJGenny said...

It's official. I'm an idiot. The word polyester needed to be in there somewhere.