Monday, January 19, 2009

Weeds

I just finished watching the first two episodes of season one of Showtime's "Weeds." Not too shabby a show. It's no "Breaking Bad" but at least it's trying.

Toast Titanium sucks really bad. Why? Because it encodes avi videos into some crappy format which divides the audio and video tracks. This, naturally, ensures that when the program burns the videos the audio will inevitably get ahead of the video and you'll be left with a worthless DVD coaster of unwatchable video/audio conglomerates.

So now I am using "Burn" which simply encodes the videos into one lovely cohesive mpeg file. We'll see how it does when it comes to burning them, though.

I was going to burn the first episode of season two of Flight of the Conchords, but then I felt like it would be a waste to use a whole DVD on just one 30-minute episode. So this disc will include both that episode and the epic movie "The Fall." Unfortunately this means I will necessarily have to wait another 2 hours for "The Fall" to encode into mpeg format (using the previously-mentioned "Burn" software).

So I guess the real question now is, "Do I watch another episode of Weeds, or do I go downstairs?" Which would have to include the followup question, "What would I do downstairs, and would it necessarily be any more of a waste of time than watching another episode of Weeds?" These are the kinds of decisions that try men's souls.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple, fast program that always burns .AVI (and many other formats) audio/video in synch?

ConvertXtoDVD

I remember the days of trying to watch burned Scrubs and Arrested, only to have the DVD be out of synch.

Joe said...

I will dig that up immediately.

Is it perchance free, or will I have to simply find it via torrent?

Anonymous said...

Torrent away. You can probably find the newest version on Mininova. The version I'm currently using is 3.2.0.52

It never fails, just make sure when you install and "register" you turn off it's ability to phone home/auto updates, ect. (though I'm sure I don't have to tell YOU)

Anonymous said...

Have you watched Gummo yet?

Joe said...

Unfortunately, yes. I have watched Gummo.

What a thoroughly disturbing movie. I don't know if I can ever eat spaghetti again.