Saturday, September 20, 2014

Cheap Craigslist Car: 1976 Chevrolent Scottsdale Sport

I so often see cars and trucks for sale on Craigslist that I want to make a comment about, that I decided to make it a regular feature of this blog. I plan to do these a LOT. So check back often for my wisdom and insight. Since Craigslist ads expire after a time and I don't want to litter this blog with dead links, I'll simply be posting screenshots of the ads instead of links to them. Most of these ads will be from reno.craigslist.org/cta.


This beautiful 76 Chevy pickup is a great example of a very cool older vehicle that simply is not worth very much money . 

Unless the entire vehicle was FULLY restored inside and out, asking $1,200 for this truck with a bad transmission is pure fantasy. The seller will be lucky to get $1,000 for this, and that is entirely dependent on finding that ONE buyer who has another one of these but with a bad body and good transmission. Other than that one very specific scenario, one of these in this condition with a bad transmission should reasonably expect to fetch $300-$600.

Based on the length of time this ad has been up (and the number of times it has been reposted), I'm guessing the seller isn't moving much from his initial $1,200 asking price. "OBO" usually just means "or best offer that is at least 80% of my asking price" until desperation sets in. Then that percentage gradually gets lower, until it reaches "true OBO" status, which is when the seller says "Make me an offer, need to sell this week or it goes to the crusher".

No comments: