Friday, September 5, 2014

All the Cars, Part 8: 1988 Ford Festiva LX


Car/Body/Engine: 1988 Ford Festiva LX / 2-doors, hatchback / 1.3L 4-cylinder gasoline engine, 120 HP

Features: 5-speed manual transmission, A/C, FWD, seats 5
Owned?: yes
Purchased for/from: Bought for $700 from a guy in Carson City.
Summary: Peppy and reliable, compact but very comfortable with lots of leg and headroom. 225,000+ miles and counting.
What I Like: Very fuel-efficient vehicle (I get about 33 miles per gallon in town), comfortable, easy to get in and out of, very compact, and very good working A/C.
What I Don't Like: The clutch is VERY finicky and this is by far the easiest manual to kill of all the manuals I have driven. I would like to get the radio and speakers fixed as well, as it currently does not have any form of a working sound system. The paint is bad. Doesn't pass smog because it burns a little oil (and therefore smokes a little), so it is registered as a "classic" vehicle, which means I can only (legally) drive it 5,000 miles per registration cycle. Takes some encouragement to start in the morning (but always starts eventually). The previous owner did a bad job putting some "window shade cling" to the driver's side window and as such it looks bad.


What Happened to It: still have it, its extreme fuel efficiency makes it my most-used daily driver.

No comments: