Monday, November 30, 2009

Maiden Voyage of the Diesel Chevette

Well the diesel Chevette has now officially completed it's first long trip while in my ownership.

It did quite well, actually! Only problem was a broken alternator mounting bracket on the way down to Reno, which I managed to jury-rig into a temporary fix just to get me into Reno. Once in Reno I purchased a 50¢ piece of metal at the local surplus/junkyard, and cut it into a brand new bracket. Viola! Best of all, this new bracket is way higher-quality and stronger than the one that broke. This one won't be breaking anytime soon.

The drive from Ellensburg to Reno took me about 15.5 hours, and I got about 45 miles per gallon.

On the drive back to Ellensburg, I went way faster (due to less traffic + my impatience to get back so I could start on some school things that I have due, um, tomorrow). Unfortunately, with this speed (70-75 mph the whole way), there was a fuel mileage sacrifice. I "only" got about 38 miles per gallon on the way back to Ellensburg, but it did shave 1.5 hours off the trip.

I must say I'm quite pleased with my $650 purchase.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an excellent purchase.